L.A. County Fair Challenges Visitors to “Dare To Fair”
From animatronic dinosaurs and a reimagined “Bodies” exhibit to summer ice-skating and the ultimate hands-on sports experience, new attractions at this year’s Los Angeles County Fair offer something for everyone.
The 88th edition of the Fair over the past 94 years (it was closed for six years during the World War II era) this year’s event is themed “Dare to Fair” – a challenge to visitors to explore the Fair’s star-spangled, ride-loving, fried food-eating and livestock-petting roots at America’s biggest county fair from Sept. 2-25 at Fairplex in Pomona.
New attractions in 2016 range from three acres of life-sized animatronic dinosaurs and a reimagined “Bodies” exhibit to the ultimate hands-on sports experience – an ice-skating, snow-sledding wonderland – along with walk-through floral paintings and the 16-night End of Summer Concert Series. And to the disappointment of no one, there are plenty of all-new signature food creations exclusive to the L.A. County Fair.
Among the new and featured attractions are:
- Jurassic Planet – Thirty-five life-sized dinosaurs, including a 44-foot-long T-Rex, fill this animatronic adventure with a hands-on dinosaur museum, live shows, fossil prep lab and dig hosted by real paleontologists. An additional entrance fee is required.
- Our Body: The Universe Within – Go under the skin of human anatomy – literally! – at this fascinating, educational exhibit of 200 uniquely preserved human specimens offering a vibrant, 3D view of our bodies usually reserved just for doctors.
- Let the Games Begin – This year’s immersive experience explores the origins and science of America’s “Big Six” sports – baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer and golf – through elaborately themed displays, hands-on activities and rare memorabilia.
- The Igloo – The Fair’s Arctic Village with Polar Ice Rink and Penguin Sled Run is made with real ice and snow. Evenings will feature all-ages dance parties with DJ Cool and periodic snowstorms. Additional equipment rental fees are required.
- Watercolors: The Art of Flowers – The Flower & Garden Pavilion explores the intersection of watercolors and flowers via real-life recreations of famous paintings, dramatic walk-through landscapes and classes taught by onsite floral experts.
Photo Credit: @lacountyfair, Facebook
As is tradition, this year’s Fair will offer a full menu of original Fair foods, including the world premiere of deep-fried hot sauce, a 2016 L.A. County Fair exclusive served in a bag or as a spicy kabob. Last year’s wildly popular deep-fried guacamole and the all-time favorite deep-fried Kool-Aid also return. In addition, there will be hundreds of other offerings ranging from healthy, organic and locally grown options to the most decadent creations imaginable.
Darnel Pinson, a behind-the-scenes Fair creative force for years and descendent of one of the Los Angeles County Fair founders, has been designated the official L.A. County Fair “Fairdevil” of this year’s run.
“Much of what the world loves most about the L.A. County Fair – the sheer size, foods, rides, animals, signature attractions and world-class entertainers – is due to decades of tireless work by Darnel,” said Michelle DeMott, the Fair’s vice president of branding. “Since his granddaddy helped create the Fair, and he’s been working his behind-the-scenes magic as part of the Fair First Family ever since, we thought it was time to officially acknowledge his ambassadorship and give him a public role.”
The Fairdevil will represent the Fair in this year’s TV commercials and other advertising, on the web and social pages, at community events before and during the Fair and at the head of the daily Fair parade on certain days.
Visit www.LaCountyFair.com for admission, hours and more information, or call (909) 623-3111.
Now you can enter for a chance to win a pair of tickets to the L.A. County Fair. We're giving away two 4-packs of tickets. Enter our giveaway now through Wednesday, Aug. 24. Two winners will be announced on Thursday, Aug. 25, in the comments below and via social media. Winners will also be notified by email. Winners must respond to our email within 48 hours to redeem their prize. Remember, you may enter multiple times with the nifty giveaway widget below. GOOD LUCK!